Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Kirk Report

The Kirk Report


Passion, Above All Else

Posted: 04 May 2010 06:36 AM PDT

Someone recently asked me what I specifically look for in those who apply for my mentorship program. While there are many factors, the one I'm looking for beyond everything else is a true and sustaining passion for the markets.

Passion

As difficult as it is for me to believe, people are drawn to the market for lots of reasons. For example, many hope to make a quick and easy buck. I have no problem with that, after all that's the American way. While others are simply forced in to the markets because they feel (right or wrong) they have little to no other chance of hitting their financial goals without making money in the markets. I have no problem with that either. In fact, many of my closest friends and family fit into this latter category. Which is also why I've talked about and have interviewed so many concerning passive indexed-based investing because there's simply no better option for the vast majority.

But for some, at least those who read The Kirk Report, truly desire to achieve success in the markets beyond what is financially necessary. It is why I do what I do and why it is still so enjoyable after these many years. Every day when I roll out of bed at 5AM, I'm excited about the day ahead. If that was not the case or if I would ever lose the passion I have, I sincerely hope I would find the courage to do something else. After all, our here time is short and this is something I am reminded of every May.

In my opinion, if you don't have the passion for the market and trading and investing, then you have no business being involved with them beyond what is necessary. To do exceptionally well in the markets, requires exceptional commitment. That commitment can only be reasonably sustained if you have the passion as I and others do.

I was reminded of this after watching a terrific interview of Chef Jose Andres on 60 Minutes last Sunday. The type of passion and commitment this man shows, not only for his craft, but also for helping others who are trying to get a start in his industry is something I truly admire and respect. If you missed the interview, I highly recommend it.

This is exactly the type of passion we look for when deciding who will join my mentorship group.

0 comments: